Insulation FAQ

There are many types of insulation and products available. The type you need depends on where you will be installing it, what R-value you require and your budget. Here is some information you may find useful to determine your requirements:


The way of labelling the effectiveness of insulation materials. The higher the R-value, the more resistance the material is to the movement of heat resulting in greater insulating power.

Fiber Glass Batts:

Available in different thicknesses, R-value, and width to accommodate standard sized walls, crawls spaces etc.

Blown-in Loose Fiber Glass:

Used in attic spaces and hard to reach areas. Requires a special machine to install.


Used in attic spaces. Cellulose is an alternative to fiberglass. Consists of recycled paper coupled with a fire retardant. Requires a special machine to install.

Vapour Barrier:

A plastic membrane that resists migration of moisture through walls, ceiling and floors.

ROXUL Batts:

A line of fire-resistant insulation product which is used for both thermal and soundproofing properties.

Knauf Insulation EcoBatt ®:

A line of insulation designed for both thermal and soundproofing properties.

Blow-In-Blanket System ®:

This patented Blow-In-Blanket System (BIBS®) is a process for installing JM Climate Pro loose-fill insulation behind a BIBS netting for complete coverage and high R-value rating. This product is used for both its thermal and soundproofing properties.


Accoustical sealant used to bond and seal the vapour barrier.

What R-value Do I Need?

This will depend on the area of your home that requires insulation. Typical recommendations for exterior walls will range from R-12 to R20 while R-40, R-50 and R-60 are common for attic spaces.

How Much Insulation Do I Require?

This will depend on the type of insulation you are using, the R-value you wish to achieve and the size of the space you will be insulating.